Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Health & Fitness Discussion
> General Health, Wellness, & Spirituality Questions
Connect with Facebook

General Health, Wellness, & Spirituality Questions Hey.. are you new to the health & fitness lifestyle? Then this sub-forum is for you. Inside is a slew of pertinent tips and explanations to speed you on your way. Enjoy! The forum has been dedicated to the memory of a now deceased friend of the NarkSide: David "Mavsluva" Lowe. He was an inspiration for many of us here in the community. This forum serves to continue the work which David started: To unite the Spirit, Mind, and Body... in the pursuit of the improvement of self. R.I.P. David. We love you man. You'll always be with us.

Old 06-09-2010
NarkSide's Ultimate PostWhore
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

StrawberrySun has a brilliant future
StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future
Default 7 Depression Busters for Men

I suppose that you guys can tell me what you think about this and the fact that it was written by a woman.

by Therese Borchard Author of the blog, Beyond Blue, on Beliefnet.com

In Spring 2006 the depression of two very successful men made newspaper headlines in Maryland. Phil Merrill, a renowned publisher, entrepreneur and diplomat in the Washington area, took his own life. Eleven days later Montgomery County Executive Douglas Duncan withdrew his candidacy for governor of Maryland because of his struggle with depression. For weeks, newspapers covered male depression, including the stories of Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Archbishop Raymond Roussin, Mike Wallace, William Styron, Art Buchwald and Robin Williams.

That was unusual. Because, in the majority of media stories and infomercials, depression is regarded as a feminine thing ... a result of all of the hormonal shifts and baby-making stuff. The reality? Six million men, or seven percent of American men, suffer from depression, and millions more suffer silently because they either don't recognize the symptoms, which can vary from women's, or they are too ashamed to get help for what they see as a woman's disease. These 7 techniques were written for men to address the hidden desperation so many feel, and to expose the truth about mood disorders and gender.

1. Get a male perspective.
When I hit bottom after the birth of my second baby, I was lucky enough to see Brook Sheild's beautiful face on "Oprah" describing how I felt. In
her  book her book
, and in Kay Redfield Jamison's
"An  Unquiet Mind" "An Unquiet Mind"
and Tracy Thompson's
"The Ghost in the House," "The Ghost in the House,"
I found female companionship, as they articulated what was happening to me. That alone made me less scared.

There are some wonderful books tackling the male perspective of depression. Among them:
"I  Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male  Depression" "I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression"
by Terrence Real,
"Unmasking  Male Depression" "Unmasking Male Depression"
by Archibald Halt, and, of course, the classic,
"Darkness  Visible" "Darkness Visible"
by William Styron. There are also an array of blogs by men on the topic of depression and mental health. For example, check out http://www.storiedmind.com/ http://chipur.com/ http://knowledgeisnecessity.blogspot.com/ http://www.lawyerswithdepression.com/ http://www.midlife-men.com/index.html http://www.findingoptimism.com/ and http://thesplinteredmind.blogspot.com/

2. Identify the symptoms.
Part of what makes male depression so misunderstood is that a depressed guy doesn't act the way a depressed lady does, and the feminine symptoms are the ones most often presented in pharmaceutical ads and in glossy brochures you pick up at your doctor's office . For example, it is not uncommon for a man to complain to his primary care physician about sleep problems, headaches, fatigue and other unspecified pain, some or all of which may be related to untreated depression. In her Newsweek article, "Men & Depression," Julie Scelfo writes, "Depressed women often weep and talk about feeling bad; depressed men are more likely to get into bar fights, scream at their wives, have affairs or become enraged by small inconveniences like lousy service at a restaurant."

3. Limit the alcohol.
An interesting study by Yale University discovered that men and women respond to stress differently. According to lead scientist Tara Chaplin, women are much more likely to feel sad or anxious as a result of stress, whereas men turn to alcohol. "Men's tendency to crave alcohol when upset may be a learned behavior or may be related to known gender differences in reward pathways in the brain," she said. The tendency, however, puts men at more risk for alcohol-use disorders. And since alcohol is, itself, a depressive, you really don't want a lot of it in your system. Trust me on this one.

4. Watch the stress.
You can't drink away your worries, so what DO you do? I offer 10 stress busters. But I imagine the most important way to manage stress for men is to work in a job and environment that isn't ... well ... toxic. Unfortunately, the more impressive your title, the more stress brewing underneath your skin. Dr. Charles Nemeroff, a psychiatrist who treated both Tom Johnson (president of CNN during the 90s) and philanthropist J.B. Fuqua says stress is a major factor in male depression and a CEO's (or any executive's) higher stress level makes them more vulnerable to the illness. The pressure can become unbearable. Unfortunately, some men will have to choose between good mental health and the corner office.

5. Help another dude.
At age 46 Philip Burguieres was running a Fortune 500 company. Now he lends a hand to CEOs who are living lives of quiet desperation and have nowhere to turn. In an interview with PBS, Burguieres said, "I am open about my own experience, and I share my story with other CEOs in lecture settings several times a year [because] I have found that helping other people helps me, and keeps me healthier." Art Buchwald, another very successful depressive, said in a "Psychology Today" interview some years back that talking about his depression helped him as much as the people he was talking to. It seems to me that the more misunderstood the illness, the greater the need to reach out and help each other.

6. Find an outlet.
One of my male friends who is a tad depressed right now says all he needs to feel better is 18 holes of golf. I'm not sure that chasing the little white ball has the same therapeutic faculties as a high-impact hour of counseling, but I trust that he knows himself better than I know him. What I do know without a doubt is that men are much happier when they can retreat into a "man cave" or a safe corner of the world and do their thing. Some might need a little assistance finding that happy place. So keep trying on those pastimes until one fits and lets you take a deep breath.

7. Tend to the marriage.
Depression leads women into affairs and divorce. But I suspect there are even more casualties with men's depression. In a poignant blog post, John A. discusses his longing to leave a good marriage as the "active" face of the illness. He writes, "We often focus on the passive symptoms, the inactivity, the isolation, sense of worthlessness, disruption of focused thought, lack of will to do anything. But paradoxically the inner loss and need can drive depressed people to frenzied action to fill the great emptiness in the center of their lives. They may long to replace that inadequate self with an imagined new one that makes up for every loss." Yet, by loving the partner beside you, even though it can feel counter-intuitive and unnatural, you can protect yourself (to a certain extent) from the blows of depression and make yourself more resilient to future episodes.

Click here for even more depression busters for men.
Old 06-11-2010
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100 Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100 Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySun81 View Post
I suppose that you guys can tell me what you think about this and the fact that it was written by a woman.
As expected... women know nothing about men, and should stick to writing about women, babies, and cake.
Quote:
1. Get a male perspective.
When I hit bottom after the birth of my second baby, I was lucky enough to see Brook Sheild's beautiful face on "Oprah" describing how I felt. In her book, and in Kay Redfield Jamison's "An Unquiet Mind" and Tracy Thompson's "The Ghost in the House," I found female companionship, as they articulated what was happening to me. That alone made me less scared.

There are some wonderful books tackling the male perspective of depression. Among them: "I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression" by Terrence Real, "Unmasking Male Depression" by Archibald Halt, and, of course, the classic, "Darkness Visible" by William Styron. There are also an array of blogs by men on the topic of depression and mental health. For example, check out "Storied Mind," "Chipur.com," "Knowledge Is Necessity," "Lawyers with Depression," "Midlife-Men.com," "Finding Optimism," and "A Splintered Mind."
"There are some wonderful books tackling..." ...'wonderful' as defined by who? I'm sorry, but the average dude does NOT want a self-help book. I dunno how a lactacting (and thus hormonal) chick could plausibly compare her post-partum depression (and what she needed then) to a guy's (and what he'd need). That's just plain dumb... and typical.

Women don't want to be lumped into categories, but like to do themselves.

Quote:

2. Identify the symptoms.
Part of what makes male depression so misunderstood is that a depressed guy doesn't act the way a depressed lady does,
^^Thus echoing my previous statement... and invalidating her first set of 'advice'.

Quote:
4. Watch the stress.
You can't drink away your worries, so what DO you do? I offer 10 stress busters. But I imagine the most important way to manage stress for men is to work in a job and environment that isn't ... well ... toxic. Unfortunately, the more impressive your title, the more stress brewing underneath your skin. Dr. Charles Nemeroff, a psychiatrist who treated both Tom Johnson (president of CNN during the 90s) and philanthropist J.B. Fuqua says stress is a major factor in male depression and a CEO's (or any executive's) higher stress level makes them more vulnerable to the illness. The pressure can become unbearable. Unfortunately, some men will have to choose between good mental health and the corner office.
How is this a depression 'buster'... can she not stay on topic?

Quote:

5. Help another dude.
At age 46 Philip Burguieres was running a Fortune 500 company. Now he lends a hand to CEOs who are living lives of quiet desperation and have nowhere to turn. In an interview with PBS, Burguieres said, "I am open about my own experience, and I share my story with other CEOs in lecture settings several times a year [because] I have found that helping other people helps me, and keeps me healthier." Art Buchwald, another very successful depressive, said in a "Psychology Today" interview some years back that talking about his depression helped him as much as the people he was talking to. It seems to me that the more misunderstood the illness, the greater the need to reach out and help each other.
Oh sweet Jesus.

So if I'm depressed I should go throw a lecture for other depressed people? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. Talking to 'em after it's lifted... sure. Using that as a stress-mediator... sure. As a practical solution, I really don't think so.

Quote:
7. Tend to the marriage.
Depression leads women into affairs and divorce. But I suspect there are even more casualties with men's depression. In a poignant blog post, John A. discusses his longing to leave a good marriage as the "active" face of the illness. He writes, "We often focus on the passive symptoms, the inactivity, the isolation, sense of worthlessness, disruption of focused thought, lack of will to do anything. But paradoxically the inner loss and need can drive depressed people to frenzied action to fill the great emptiness in the center of their lives. They may long to replace that inadequate self with an imagined new one that makes up for every loss." Yet, by loving the partner beside you, even though it can feel counter-intuitive and unnatural, you can protect yourself (to a certain extent) from the blows of depression and make yourself more resilient to future episodes.
Right.

Way to slip your marriage insecurities in there lady.

Was this article commissioned by a church or something?

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 06-14-2010
Points: 232,640, Level: 100 Points: 232,640, Level: 100 Points: 232,640, Level: 100
Activity: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Kuntao Warrior has a brilliant future
Kuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant future

I was wondering how a woman could write an article on male depression. Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Boozies Daddy!!!
Old 06-14-2010
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100

StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future

^^ A guy I know was reading this article and asked me what I thought about it.

I told him that I have nothing to say on the matter because I'm not a man. *shrug*

So I threw it out here to hear what you guys thought.

I think that women should stop trying to "explain" and "advise" men in articles and vice versa. It never works. Ever.

Ah well.
Old 06-14-2010
Points: 232,640, Level: 100 Points: 232,640, Level: 100 Points: 232,640, Level: 100
Activity: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Kuntao Warrior has a brilliant future
Kuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant futureKuntao Warrior has a brilliant future

If this woman really wanted to help she would have had an article for women to help their depressed male counterparts. Her suggestions should be:

1. Give him more head
2. Give him more ass
3. Let him have anal 2xs a month
4. Swallow.

Now see if he is still depressed!!!!

Boozies Daddy!!!
Old 06-14-2010
The UnderBoss
Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Booz

you forgot to mention that she should let him do all the above to aniother woman lol............

From Fat to Fit Getnarked.net:

For all your Fitness needs
I may be fat, but I dont wanna be skinny.
Old 06-14-2010
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100 Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100 Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booz View Post
you forgot to mention that she should let him do all the above to aniother woman lol............
LMAO!

I'm not touching that one! :shakirah:

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 06-14-2010
The UnderBoss
Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Booz

ud like to tho wouldnt you.....................

From Fat to Fit Getnarked.net:

For all your Fitness needs
I may be fat, but I dont wanna be skinny.
Old 06-15-2010
Jacked Fatty Moderator
Points: 91,068, Level: 100 Points: 91,068, Level: 100 Points: 91,068, Level: 100
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

CBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant future
CBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant futureCBGB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to CBGB Send a message via Yahoo to CBGB

Here's a stress reliever.

Shut up. I'm much less stressed when you're not talking!
Old 06-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booz View Post

Typical.