Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Health & Fitness Discussion
> Fat-loss tips - Diet & Supplement Questions
Connect with Facebook

Fat-loss tips - Diet & Supplement Questions Atkins? South Beach? Carbs? Kcals? Creatine? Protein? What? er? ARRRG! Got a diet or Supplement question? Get help with it here!!!

Old 02-01-2011
NarkSide's Ultimate PostWhore
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

StrawberrySun has a brilliant future
StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future
Default "Cheat Days" - Beneficial or detrimental?

Are cheat meals really a beneficial part of your diet and training? Or is that just an excuse proliferated by those who have no will power?

When I first started training a year or so ago, I incorporated cheat meals. I had that one or two days of the week where I allowed myself to ease off my diet and have some junk. Chocolate, potato chips, yea... junk.

It kinda made the rest of my diet seem brighter and shinier because I had that cheat meal to look forward to, so it was kind of a reward for being strict the rest of the time. Other times I wondered, "IS this just be being weak and finding a way to give in to my cravings?"

What do you guys think?

Do you engage in cheat meals? If so, why? And what do they consist of?

If you don't, why don't you?

Quote:
Are Cheat Meals Beneficial
Cheat meals definitely do not physically help your weight loss efforts. All the excess calories will be stored as fat. Anyone who thinks that their high metabolic rate or exercising can compensate this, is kidding himself. Adding alcohol to a cheat meal can be even more detrimental as this will cause more calories to be stored as fat.

But there may be a psychological benefit. A cheat meal is like a relief valve for a lot of dieters. It helps relief built-up pressure from being extremely disciplined the entire week. More people stop their weight loss efforts for psychological reasons than anything else. They cannot handle the deprivation or the discipline.

Taking a cheat meal is a compromise that some people may be willing to take to keep themselves on their weight loss regiment. While they are taking 3 steps forward and 1 step back, it is certainly better than stopping all together. Cheat meals are a compromise. You could theoretically do much better if you avoided cheat meals all together.

Only Take Cheat Meals if You Exercise
Exercise is an important element in reducing the amount of damage caused by cheat meals. People who starve themselves and go on all sorts of starvation diets should be cautious about cheat meals. The results could be very unpredictable. The body could react in unexpected ways.

Exercise keeps the metabolic rate revving. It keeps the hormones balanced. It allows for disturbances and helps your body cope better with the sudden intake of junk food and excess calories.

When Do You Deserve a Cheat Meal
You should only indulge in a cheat meal if you have been strict and disciplined with your diet and exercise for the entire week. This is a reward that you could give yourself. Even then, the cheat meal should be limited to one sitting. Going for an all out 3 hour buffet could set you back quite a bit.

Conversely, if you have missed exercises or have not been able to follow your planned diet, skip the cheat meal for that week.

The Conclusion on Cheat Meals
If the cheat meal is what it takes to keep you on a weight loss or fitness program, by all means take it. Do be aware that the added calories will be stored as fat. A such, only take it when you have been strict and disciplined the entire week.

Make sure its only a single meal. This is not an excuse to binge the entire day. The best rule to follow is to eat whatever you could fit on your plate at a single fill. Second helpings should be avoided. You could add one non-alcoholic drink and one dessert.

There will be times when you do not crave a cheat meal. Do not take it for the sake of taking it. What is important is that you are making progress and losing fat. If you are not losing fat, take a step back and re-look at your cheat meal.
Excerpt from http://correct-weight-loss.net.
Old 02-01-2011
The UnderBoss
Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future

Cheat meals certainly have benefits on top of the purely psychological. It to some extent prevents crashing of leptin levels and keeps up the metabolism. Of course there is some limits, if one stuffs down 10 000 kcal then shit has to be stored somewhere. But eating like 40%-50% above maintenance won't make you into a pig and will have the hormonal advantages.
Old 02-01-2011
Retired Super Moderator
Points: 147,882, Level: 100 Points: 147,882, Level: 100 Points: 147,882, Level: 100
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Prada has a brilliant future
Prada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant future

Cheat meals are for the weak.

Cheat does not equate to eating sh*t for me. Yes I may have ribs, or a chocolate bar, or a frozen yoghurt but thats maybe once in a while and not the crappiest one. Never do I eat a triple artery clogging big mac or motor oil fried fish and chips, etc.

I guess just find a consistent diet thats actually f-in healthy and delicious, therefore you dont have to cheat, just be honest.

<-------Why the fough is this called :modernchick? lol
What would :classicalchick: give as an avy?
Old 02-01-2011
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100

StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future

Modern chick...

HAhahahahahah!!!
Old 02-02-2011
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,544,205, Level: 100 Points: 10,544,205, Level: 100 Points: 10,544,205, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Cheat meals... nay.

Re-feeds... yay.

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 03-28-2011

bump!
Old 03-28-2011
NarkSide Nympho
Points: 71,494, Level: 100 Points: 71,494, Level: 100 Points: 71,494, Level: 100

RhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant future
RhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
Cheat meals... nay.

Re-feeds... yay.
not to hi-jack the thread but...

whats you're take on ken(skip) hills "skip loading" nark? it's sparked quite a few debates deviding a lot of contest prep guys.

Re-feeds ftw.
Old 03-28-2011
Sr. Fornicator
Points: 7,814, Level: 61 Points: 7,814, Level: 61 Points: 7,814, Level: 61
Level up: 88%, 36 Points needed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Flex-Appeal is on a distinguished road

I eat a cheat meal from time to time but it's not that terrible like fast food.
I try to keep it somewhat healthy. I don't get junk food or fast food cravings like many.
I stay full on healthy stuff so mind never thinks about eating garbage.
Old 04-05-2011
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,544,205, Level: 100 Points: 10,544,205, Level: 100 Points: 10,544,205, Level: 100

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBalls View Post
not to hi-jack the thread but...

whats you're take on ken(skip) hills "skip loading" nark? it's sparked quite a few debates deviding a lot of contest prep guys.

Re-feeds ftw.
I did it... I looked like absolute shit.

To be honest, loading with shit food my body did not respond in anyway similar to what was described on the boards/articles.

Personally, I think drugs may affect how well it works... and me? I was clean as a whistle.

Reverted to my usual loading scheme for the next year's competitions and the difference was astounding.

Don't think I'd ever skip-load again.

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 04-06-2011
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 2,532, Level: 32 Points: 2,532, Level: 32 Points: 2,532, Level: 32
Level up: 55%, 68 Points needed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

green182 is on a distinguished road

re-feeds?