Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
The Water Cooler
> Ca$h, Entrepreneurship, & Shit Like that
Connect with Facebook

Ca$h, Entrepreneurship, & Shit Like that Worried about the Economy and your job security? Need help budgeting for fitness? Starting a business? Planning a trip? Job-hunting? Building that home or home-gym? Building that Resume? Investing?! Check in *here* for Opinions and Feedback! Money Matters: From Business to Recreation!!!

Old 11-14-2012
Owner | Administrator
Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Buy American... Save America?

Birth of a New Tradition -- Christmas 2012

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Yes there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the dollars on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway ploughed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big national chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewellery, and pottery and beautiful wooden bowls.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of Christmas lights, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about more people, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, other people, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

BUY AMERICAN- BE AMERICAN- The job you save might be your own or your children's.

Article seen here:
http://limerick.patch.com/blog_posts...-new-tradition
http://www.lincolncountyjournal.com/?p=9110

Adapted here:
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/201...this-christmas

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 11-14-2012
Owner | Administrator
Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Reminds me of the 'buy Bajan' promotion that's been running in my country (Barbados) for a few years now.

Very interesting premise.

Also runs parallel to a post I saw a week or two back on facebook (Which i cannot, for some reason, find right now) which basically called for Barbadians to support local entrepreneurs for birthdays/christmas etc.

This is something I've personally practiced for a while. It feels like a better use of my money...and it keeps money flowing back to me I've found (as entrepreneurs then promote my services/products etc.)

Win-Win IMHO.

Old 11-14-2012
Former Co-Admin. Cherished friend. RIP
Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

t-gunz has a brilliant future
t-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to t-gunz

i try and support buying from local small produce shops, and product here in Australia. but the markup we got is stupid. for instance.

gues the designer watch. here in oz $450AUD america $110.

what a joke. ill do my best to support it but those markups you got to be kidding

motivation pictures client/moderator : Bobby Stealz:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/album.php?albumid=9
-if this doesn't get you motivated nothing will

New Members threads of interest:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4965
-includes dieting, training, injury
-articles by narkside staff
Old 11-15-2012
Former NarkSide Client
Points: 42,690, Level: 100 Points: 42,690, Level: 100 Points: 42,690, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

girlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant future
girlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant futuregirlf has a brilliant future

You know what I've never liked about things like this coming from other big countries?
It's the fact that when they never realise that this is EXACTLY what they are doing to other countries around the world.

In St Vincent there are no locally made juice brands they are all American. Most people buy good from America and ship them down to other local economies. If every single country decided to buy goods only made in their country then the American economy would collapse.

The same thing with services, Western people complain about accents and poor service when for decades other countries have had to deal with understanding western accents and virtually no service. If you so much as called from a non-western country to complain about a product, you were deemed to stupid to know how to use it properly (this has changed a bit now that the global market has opened up and EVERYONE has to fight for the consumers cash)

I also like the idea of buying people the services they need, however people are greedy.
Ask them to choose between a new iPadMini (that utterly ridiculously overpriced backwards step in technology) and to have their gas bill paid for 3months (the cost of an iPadMini), there will be a few takers for the iPadMini.

For xmas, I give people poetry or something I have made. if they don't like it... they can always give it back to me. I won't take offense at all.
Old 11-17-2012
Owner | Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlf View Post

For xmas, I give people poetry or something I have made. if they don't like it... they can always give it back to me. I won't take offense at all.

Old 11-18-2012
The UnderBoss
Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future

Im not fond of the christmas gift hysteria. But the export based uplifting of china is the greatest reduction of poverty in the history of mankind so I hope people continue to buy items manufactured in third world countries.

Industries will return to america soon anyway when automation takes its next step. Likely it will benefit all local markets.
Old 11-28-2012
NarkSide Nympho
Points: 31,443, Level: 100 Points: 31,443, Level: 100 Points: 31,443, Level: 100
Activity: 96%
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

big_k has a brilliant future
big_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to big_k

I think the problem is not purely the end consumer. Many of us are price driven and if identical products are offered at a lower rate from china, then buying US simply due to patriotism is delusional.

A big problem has been government, why are our jobs getting sent out of the US? Because it's cheaper to run them elsewhere...yes cheap labor too, but also companies have left because of taxes and laws preventing their growth.
Old 01-27-2013
Sr. Fornicator
Points: 3,371, Level: 38 Points: 3,371, Level: 38 Points: 3,371, Level: 38
Level up: 14%, 129 Points needed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

DeterminedToLift is a jewel in the roughDeterminedToLift is a jewel in the roughDeterminedToLift is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_k View Post
I think the problem is not purely the end consumer. Many of us are price driven and if identical products are offered at a lower rate from china, then buying US simply due to patriotism is delusional.

A big problem has been government, why are our jobs getting sent out of the US? Because it's cheaper to run them elsewhere...yes cheap labor too, but also companies have left because of taxes and laws preventing their growth.
^I agree, as well have to add that if America would chill with its military spending and purge it's war-frenzy state the economy would be doing much better. No matter how much we buy American products, the gov will keep bailing out the banks, and keep spending our money on war, it's a recipe for disaster.

How Allah called this American to Islam: http://youtu.be/6N29SFa_EeY