Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
The Water Cooler
> Ca$h, Entrepreneurship, & Shit Like that
Connect with Facebook

Ca$h, Entrepreneurship, & Shit Like that Worried about the Economy and your job security? Need help budgeting for fitness? Starting a business? Planning a trip? Job-hunting? Building that home or home-gym? Building that Resume? Investing?! Check in *here* for Opinions and Feedback! Money Matters: From Business to Recreation!!!

Old 11-25-2012
Owner | Administrator
Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Default “Multitasking – Screwing everything up simultaneously.”

by Leigh Peele

Anon said the words in my headline. So many people, myself included, fall victim to the multitask temptress. I will be honest, she has totally made me her bitch. Oh yeah, I fetch for her all day long. Do you? You could be, and in ways you didn’t realize.
If you couldn’t tell, I am about to unload a large discussion on multitasking. At first, this might not seem necessary. But, I can attest to falling victim to the lure and temptress that is multitasking. You can feel as if you are getting a million things done, while never truly achieving any of them.
I can tell you, it hits home harder than you think. The first few sections are personal anecdotes and blabbing about me. If you aren’t interested in the detailed, albeit boring aspects of my multitasking, feel free to scan to the bottom.
A Frank Look At My Multitasking Dilemma

I have been trying to do the job of 5 people. The result is the usual outcome of those who are understaffed — a lot of late nights mixed with pride and marginal victories. Understand, there are still victories, but you wouldn’t know it.
Everyday I see on facebook, twitter, or in my email the glorious ramblings of those in my field with their newest victory. I am not hating, in fact, I admire their effort and time management. I am lucky to confirm a friend request, let alone share the success of the day. Some seriously insane events have happened in my life, but you wouldn’t know it. I have had articles published, been a quote sources in magazines, and contacted by extraordinary people for advice in their weight loss and training programs. Again, you would never know it.
This all came to head because I took a moment to alert people to a few accomplishments recently and I was met with a lot of surprise congratulations and “about time!” conversation. I thought to myself, “This is nice of everyone, but it isn’t like this type of stuff doesn’t happen in general. Why are you…” And then, it hit me. How the hell do they know? Who is going to tell them but me?
Can You Outsource Bragging?

I am hardly a company, just barely if you can call it that. Still, I do pretty well for myself. I am not bragging about million dollar launches (or hatin’, good for them) but, I am able to be my own boss. From where I come from, that is an astonishing thing to accomplish. I don’t need much more than that to be happy.
The things I have pride in are rarely tangled into the almighty dollar. They are in achievements of professional and educational glory. For example, I have been asked to speak at a few colleges now. I was asked to speak on topics ranging from kinesiology to nutrition. Can you imagine? Someone who holds no degree whatsoever in nutrition, asked by a professor to speak to their students? I don’t know how that makes you feel about higher education (sorry guys), but it sure made me feel incredible. The whole thing has brought a lot to question about what I could do at a higher level. But, this is hardly the time for me to start going into my higher education.
The point is, no matter how trite, arrogant, or annoyed people can get with others talking about their accomplishments — it matters. There is a line between accomplishment and arrogance. But, it is a fat line in my opinion. When you are dealing with jealousy, competitors, and those suffering under the plight of their own regrets, someone is always going to confuse one with the other. I’m just proud. Nothing more.
I’m Not Flaky, I’m Just Busier Than A Tour Bus During SXSW

I got this message from an unnamed guru/seller a few days ago. I have edited it for time purposes, but the statements are correct.
Hey Leigh,
Well, I have messaged you multiple times now and haven’t heard back from you. I will take it you think you are above my product and launch. I will make clear to pass your lack of involvement on to the 31 affiliates I am working with.
I still didn’t look at the product, I honestly just don’t care.
But, the truth is I am a horrible affiliate. Everyone knows that. I don’t have time to be an affiliate. I don’t have the time to focus on that business model to make a success out of it. It isn’t that I couldn’t be one and do so as in a moral manner. If I ever have a moment, I take the time to do what I can to help (or payback) those who have helped me and have legitimate products that I already know. It is as straightforward as that.
Even with them, I still suck as an affiliate because I don’t run things through the proper system, funnels, and tested methods. I don’t have a problem with these things, they work. If the product is good, who cares. Most complain but still buy those books and still get sucked in by infomercials. It’s been happening since the dawn of time, it isn’t going to change. Regardless, again, I suck at it, so it doesn’t matter anyway. It may seem silly not to have time to do that, but right now it is 4:12am and I am still writing this post. It isn’t because I waited till the last minute, it is the price I did pay for multitasking and trying to take on too much. As you can imagine, this isn’t the way to do things.
I realize I try and do too much, and I am going to solve that, right now.
It Stops Now

There will be no more 4:12am blog posts. There will be no more 3:00am emails. There will be no more choppy writing because I rushed myself, not because I don’t have the skill. There will be no more empty promises of articles, podcast completions, or updates. If you can’t trust my word to be true on an article deadline, then how can I expect you to trust much else? Being busy, is no excuse. My word online is all I have.
What The Hell Keeps Me That Busy?

What doesn’t keep me busy?! Right now I am a trainer, writer, speaker, membership site runner, consultant, dog mom, cookbook creator, friend, coach, musician, and about 100 other things for which have no name. I wake up almost instantly after I go to sleep, for nothing amounts of time. The days become blurs, and I hate that. I hate it because by likely calculations I only have 20,000 days left. That is if I get lucky. That is if I don’t get hit by an Amish wagon racing at 15 miles per hour. It could happen.
I am someone who lives their life with a purpose. I want purpose. I crave purpose like most crave chocolate cake. I don’t want my days to blur anymore. And, why do they blur?
I Am A Multitasking Moron

It all comes back to the multitasking. I am not succeeding at. If I was doing a fantastic job, they would chant my name in the streets and carry me away in a chair. Sadly, that isn’t happening. Sadly, I have become nothing more than an “expert.”
I don’t want to be just another expert. I want to lead. I want to inspire. I want to invoke change. An expert gives commentary on the changes leaders create. I am a leader, not an expert. “A good leader inspires people to have confidence in the leader, a great leader inspires people to have confidence in themselves.”
Well, it is time to gain more of that confidence.
The Business Plan, The Body Plan

There are two plans. While I am sure your dripping at the mouth for me to discuss the later of those plans, I am not going to yet. I am not going to for a dozen reasons, but I will. I only bring it up because I want to make it clear, one such plan exists.
The ideas I have for my business are the ideas I have for you. You are my business. You are my life. When I write down my future and plans on a piece of paper, it isn’t numbers and graphs about a soft drink or supplement company. It is about you, the people. It’s about Lori, Shari, Carrie, Keith, James, and Tia. It’s about my best friends, my clients, and my members. What I write, affects you. What I record, is for you. My day is about your day. This gig isn’t a gig without you.
The question becomes, how can I get back to it being more about “you” and less about email, vbulletin crashing, merchant services, plugins not working, graphics, etc? How can I get the best answers and solutions to everyone involved? How can I streamline my business so I can spend more time with people and less time with a screen and writing? Neither of which I have a natural talent for?
The Answer Is Simple, But Not Easy

Like a massive budget cut, like a pink slip, some things have got to go. And other things have to take priority. Here is what I have come up with. Here are the budget cuts for the next 6 months.
1. No More Business Based Work In The Area Of Marketing Or Blogging.
Sorry, I just don’t have the time. It isn’t personal and at a point, it is something I would like to dive back into. But, it would be half-hearted and I wouldn’t be much help anyway. There is a whole subsection of work and clients I have in the area of business, but that just isn’t where I can put my time right now.
2. Members Are #1
My time is going to be devoted majority to the members, members content, and making sure they are happy. I already do a pretty respectable job at this, but I will make sure to maintain it and improve where needed.
3. Writing Is #2
This is extraordinarily hard for me to say. I feel so strongly about my ties to the “trenches” and the one-on-one contact I have. I am at my best when I am hands on with the results people get. But, the truth is, more people can be helped and faster if I just take some time to sit down and write the books and articles that need to be written. I can’t be everywhere at once, and I need my words to be there, when I can’t.
Over the next 6 months I will finish all writing efforts I have been meaning to finish. This includes, but is not limited to, Metabolic Repair and the updated Fat Loss Troubleshoot Editions. Then and only then will I work on future projects. I will also complete the articles publications and bloggers have been waiting for patiently. I am lucky to have such a problem, especially given my butchering of the english language.
4. No In-Person Commitments For 6-Months
The system is one dimensional. I believe in the variables of training and I also believe in the variety of client discourse. The system itself needs a re-design. While I am completing the writing, I will take on no in-person clients or do any sort of bootcamps, speaking, or demonstrations. Think of this like a metaphorical wood cabin while writing. But not really, because wood cabins freak me out.
5. No Time Restricted Articles Or Blog Posts For 6-Months
That doesn’t mean I won’t post up a blog post or article for 6-months. But it does means with the exception of members, it is on a “if it goes up, it goes up” system. And to be honest, I think it is better than way anyway. The more frequent you post, the more people seem to feel overwhelmed to make statements and comments, rather than it being natural. This isn’t a news site. I don’t have the ability to be Yahoo, nor do I care too. If I have something to say, I will say it. If you want to hear something, let me know. Otherwise, it will come as it does, and will most likely be material as I am writing it for the books.
6. I Will Knock The Problems And Goodies Out, One Thing At A Time
This includes everything from the navigation to tools for readers and members. Calculators, directories, and more. The website is going to get a huge facelift before the new year, but in the mean time it needs a tuck. For example, all content that isn’t an easy to follow article, will be removed. It just clutters the archives. What do you care about the news 8 months ago? I don’t. Instead, I will put update posts every so often for re-caps.
Regardless of what is coming, the point is that it will come one item or project at a time and be scheduled accordingly. This may seem like nothing to you, but to me, this is greater than a body contest any day of the week. We all have our weakness, and this is mine.
Thanks, But What The Hell Does This Have To Do With Me, Leigh?

I am getting to that.
  • Do you think the quality of your workouts suffer because you are in an aggressive deficit?
  • Do you think the quality of your fat loss suffers, because you will not budge on your training?
  • Are you trying to compete is a 10k, while trying to lose more than a pound a week?
  • Are you making social/personal commitments when it leaves you more stressed out or lacking of “you” time?
  • Are you trying to wake up early to go to the gym, then work only to find out your are stuffing your face at 8pm because of sleep deprivation hunger?
  • Are you trying to lose significant amounts of fat while trying to gain significant amounts of muscle?
  • Are you doing multiple programs and ideologies at a time?
  • Do you have 100+ trainers bookmarked, facebooked, and twittered, yet nothing has actually changed in months?
  • Do you have 100+ projects you are “kind of” completing, but honestly just getting overwhelmed by?
  • My point is, you can’t do it all. I am not saying you can’t train hard and lose fat. I am not saying that you can’t achieve multiple goals. What I am saying is — the more you do, the more you miss.
Have Multiple Goals, But One Lead Task

I think multiple life goals are good. But there needs to be boundaries and priorities set.
1. Only Have 1 Lead Task.
If you want to lose fat, lose fat. Don’t try and max out your PR. If you do, great, but that isn’t the goal. The goal is to lose fat. Fat loss is a war. It is a battle. Your body is the opponent. It makes a move and you counter. What do you think happens when you turn your back on the enemy to do something else?
One lead goal. This is true to anything, not just body comp.
2. Attach Your Secondary Goals To Support Your Lead Goal.
If you are trying to lose fat, choose the right training program. If you are trying to lose fat, choose the right nutritional goals. If you are trying to lose fat, select the right sleeping schedule. You can do more than just not eat, you should. But, you shouldn’t plan a trip to Bora Bora by using a Volkswagen to get there.
3. Stop Guru/Solution Hunting
Sometimes, you need to switch teams. It happens. Sometimes, you were getting crap for information. But, the moment you find yourself turning away trustworthy information that is working for you, because you had a miserable week or are just bored — you lost. You just shot yourself in the foot. I have told people to stay right where they are, even if their trainer was full of s**t. You know why? Because they were getting results. Who cares, they can learn the proper stuff later. You know how easy it is to be critical and practical when you aren’t desperate? Pretty easy.
I’ve got to tell you I get quite frustrated when I see readers or members on the right track, but then jump off because their compliance fails. It’s got to be the program, right? It can’t be that this is just one of the hardest areas of life to concur (body composition) and you just don’t feel like it. You think “Maybe someone, somewhere will inspire me again!” You know what usually happens? You get confused. You start to doubt basic and absolute truths, and end up wasting time.
4. When You Change The Task, Let The Task Actually Change
I see people take time off, refeed, and then jump back in using their previous time as a measure. If you took time off, it’s Day 1 when you start back, period. Let it go. It will just make you crazy and it’s stupid logic. Repeat after me, “Let day 1, be day 1.”
I hope you took something away from all of this. The majority of you read this blog because of fat loss, but remember that these principals and problems apply to everything. I will show you.
Example – Disorganization/Work Problems
  1. Only have 1 lead task – I will make sure member content is 100% on focus and increasing in perks.
  2. Attach your secondary goals to support your lead goal. – I will complete all writing assignments.
    Forums will take priority and then material they can download or purchase will follow. I will also streamline content and site navigation, among other web issues.
  3. Stop Guru/Solution Hunting – I will not buy another book on organization. I will simply do it and stick to what I know.
  4. When You Change The Task, Let The Task Actually Change – If I get burned out and need I break, I will step back and focus on something else or take the down time I need to get recharged.
Example – Muscle Gain
  1. Only have 1 lead task – I will put 100% of my training and diet focus on muscle gain.
  2. Attach your secondary goals to support your lead goal. – I will design my program to facilitate that of hypertrophy and strength. This may mean setting aside a lot of metabolic conditioning. I will eat for muscle gain and not be led by fear of fat gain.
  3. Stop Guru/Solution Hunting – I will follow the programs and design of (enter here) and not deviate from that program unless I hit a plateau after 8-weeks. Then, and only then, will I solution hunt.
  4. When You Change The Task, Let The Task Actually Change – I may need time to move to deload or even cutting periods. I will not half-ass those time periods and will treat them with the same respect and importance.
There is much these basic 4 guidelines can attach to. Get in, get it done, and get out of you own way.
So, are you having multitasking problems? Or, you just want to throw some comment love my way?

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 11-25-2012
Owner | Administrator
Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

I found this a very applicable read for me personally... as my businesses (including the forum) run me ragged in a similar manner.

Old 11-25-2012
The UnderBoss
Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future

I don't think anyone is really good at multitasking and very few enjoy it. Yet it seems like pretty much everyone is forced into it regardless of what they want.
Old 11-27-2012
Owner | Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
I don't think anyone is really good at multitasking and very few enjoy it. Yet it seems like pretty much everyone is forced into it regardless of what they want.
Some people pile on too much however.

Balancing life requires some multitasking skill.

A lot of people just add shit indiscriminately on top of that. There's no way to do everything you want to at once, while doing it all effectively.