Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Articles
> Articles > Diet and Nutrition Articles
Connect with Facebook

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
The UnderBoss
Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Thumbs up The meat and nut breakfast
by Johan 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM

The meat and nut breakfast by Charles Poliquin

Seems like Poliquin is also a fan of breakfasts without any real carb sources. Interesting!

Quote:
The Meat and Nut Breakfast
The rotating meat and nuts breakfast for optimal body composition

by Charles Poliquin
When people ask me for the best single dietary tip of optimal leanness, energy and sustained mental focus, I invariably tell them to try the rotating meat and nuts breakfast. Clients ranging from NHL & NFL stars to corporate executives, rave about the increased mental acuity and focused energy they derive from this food combination. The meat allows for a slow and steady rise in blood sugar. The nuts provide a great source of healthy smart fats that allows the blood sugar to remain stable for an extended period of time.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My seminar hosts are well made aware of it. It is a non-negotiable item. I am very grateful to have hosts all over the World that cater to my breakfast needs. My Dominican host Juan Carlos Simo always comes by the hotel with a kick ass breakfast. The best salmon I have ever had. Mats and Helen in Sweden bring me elk for breakfast.

What you eat for breakfast sets up your entire neurotransmitter production for the day.

If for some reason there is no host, lets say I am giving a seminar at a location I am not familiar, I always pre-scout where the best breakfast is served and simply choose steak and eggs, or a salmon omelet, or lox and poached eggs.

It is quite funny sometimes to see the reaction of the hotel staff when I ask for meat in the morning. For example in Tuscany, when I asked the chef for meat for breakfast, he had a look on his face like if I asked him to point in the right direction for the tunnel that links Rome to Oslo.

Multiple studies on employee productivity or on children’s attention patterns have demonstrated that a high protein breakfast does not only impact on the energy and productivity levels of morning till noon, but extended its positive way in the late afternoon.

Here a sample 5 day rotation of the meat/nuts breakfast. It goes without saying that you DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO IT in terms of food or beverage.

Tea, coffee or herbal infusions are permissible, Milk and juice or other liquids are not allowed.

Day 1
• 1-2 Buffalo meat patties
• 1 handful of macadamia nuts

Day 2
• 1 large venison steak
• 1 handful of cashew nuts

Day 3
• 1-2 Lean turkey burgers
• 1 handful of almonds

Day 4
• 2 lean ground beef patties
• 1 handful of brazil nuts

Day 5
• 2 chicken breasts
• 1 handful of hazelnuts

One of the other advantages of this system is that is reduces the development of food sensitivities which are known to increase cortisol in people. More than often enough, when we test first time clients for food sensitivities we find that they have antibodies to the food they have consumed on a daily for years. That is even more true in bodybuilders, it not uncommon to see them have allergies to beef, eggs, whey, casein, tuna and oatmeal, the basic bodybuilding staples.

What about if you are allergic to nuts?

I then recommend you a portion of the following low glycemic/low fructose fruits with your breakfast:

apricot
avocado
blackberries
blueberries
grapefruit
loganberries
nectarines
olives
papaya
peach
plum
raspberries
strawberries

Make sure that the fruits are organic, especially the strawberries, as they are one of the most sprayed crops in the World.

After breakfast, I recommend to use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of quality fish oil to mitigate even more the insulin response. That will insure top level concentration till your next meal.
Attached Thumbnails
Meat.jpg  
Views 7907 Comments 18
Total Comments 18

Comments

Old 04-27-2010
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,275,039, Level: 100 Points: 10,275,039, Level: 100 Points: 10,275,039, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
One of the other advantages of this system is that is reduces the development of food sensitivities which are known to increase cortisol in people. More than often enough, when we test first time clients for food sensitivities we find that they have antibodies to the food they have consumed on a daily for years. That is even more true in bodybuilders, it not uncommon to see them have allergies to beef, eggs, whey, casein, tuna and oatmeal, the basic bodybuilding staples.
^^Definitely agree with this.

I can't touch oatmeal... and only recently have I been able to cycle tuna back in.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm in full agreement with this article.

The concession he makes in the second half (as opposed to adding a non-nut fat source) cements it in my mind. Cements what?

That the important thing is mediating the insulin response.

Something that, I believe, should be practiced through-out the day... as all of my clients would know.

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 04-27-2010
NarkSide Virgin
Points: 1,419, Level: 22 Points: 1,419, Level: 22 Points: 1,419, Level: 22
Level up: 19%, 81 Points needed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

disciple2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The nuts provide a great source of healthy smart fats that allows the blood sugar to remain stable for an extended period of time.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My seminar hosts are well made aware of it. It is a non-negotiable item. I am very grateful to have hosts all over the World that cater to my breakfast needs. My Dominican host Juan Carlos Simo always comes by the hotel with a kick ass breakfast. The best salmon I have ever had. Mats and Helen in Sweden bring me elk for breakfast.

What you eat for breakfast sets up your entire neurotransmitter production for the day.

"so fuckin true"
Old 04-27-2010
The UnderBoss
Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Booz

looks great in principal............

i just dont think i could stomache eating meat as my 1st meal............

From Fat to Fit Getnarked.net:

For all your Fitness needs
I may be fat, but I dont wanna be skinny.
Old 04-27-2010
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 1,005, Level: 18 Points: 1,005, Level: 18 Points: 1,005, Level: 18
Level up: 5%, 95 Points needed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

YesItsReallyJosh is on a distinguished road

this is all part of the reason i want to switch to a lower carb diet come cutting time. I really believe in the power of sustained energy through nuts/healthy fats.
Old 04-27-2010
Retired Super Moderator
Points: 147,882, Level: 100 Points: 147,882, Level: 100 Points: 147,882, Level: 100
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Prada has a brilliant future
Prada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant futurePrada has a brilliant future

Food allergies? Hmmmm maybe thats what I have.

I once could down pasturized egg whites then I couldnt any longer. I switched to scrammbled eggs and have been ok for 2 years
Now for some reason I have an f-ed up stomach for two weeks, lost 10 lbs. I may have to omit eggs all together to see.
Old 04-28-2010
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 1,005, Level: 18 Points: 1,005, Level: 18 Points: 1,005, Level: 18
Level up: 5%, 95 Points needed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

YesItsReallyJosh is on a distinguished road

how does one truly know if they have a food allergy, Nark? I eat the same things pretty much every day, and my digestion is perfectly fine. However, I feel like things like oatmeal (which i eat tons of) i'm starting to really NOT look forward to eating. If one does not get an upset stomach or such, could they still have a food allergy?

BTW - great article
Old 04-28-2010
Former Co-Admin. Cherished friend. RIP
Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

t-gunz has a brilliant future
t-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to t-gunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booz View Post
looks great in principal............

i just dont think i could stomache eating meat as my 1st meal............
you'd be suprised booz.

i do eat different types of meat. kangaroo. turkey, ham, duck for breakfast i try and mix things up as much as possible.

motivation pictures client/moderator : Bobby Stealz:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/album.php?albumid=9
-if this doesn't get you motivated nothing will

New Members threads of interest:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4965
-includes dieting, training, injury
-articles by narkside staff
Old 04-28-2010
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,275,039, Level: 100 Points: 10,275,039, Level: 100 Points: 10,275,039, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-gunz View Post
i do eat different types of meat.
That is sooo open for misinterpretation.

GET HIM BOYS!

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 04-28-2010
Former Co-Admin. Cherished friend. RIP
Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

t-gunz has a brilliant future
t-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to t-gunz

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

motivation pictures client/moderator : Bobby Stealz:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/album.php?albumid=9
-if this doesn't get you motivated nothing will

New Members threads of interest:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4965
-includes dieting, training, injury
-articles by narkside staff