Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Articles
> Articles > Articles by Narkissos
Connect with Facebook

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100 Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100 Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Exclamation Insecurity: Breaking the cycle.
by Narkissos 11-28-2012, 07:34 AM

NarkSide: Captain’s log – November 28th 2012

Last night I had the pleasure of running into an old schoolmate of mine. He's always been in ridiculous shape, having been a serious sprinter since high school. Last night however, I realized that he'd made the transition from fitness enthusiast to trainer. Awesome, I know. The community can always use additional quality guys. Anyway, he was working with his client outdoors. His shirt was off...and he looked PHENOMENAL.

Honestly, my first thought was: "If he and I were standing shirtless, side-by-side, and a chick was asked to pick one of us, based solely on our physiques...she would pick him without a second thought." A minute of insecurity? Maybe. Maybe it was less than 10 seconds of it. But, it was enough. Immediately, it a made me think of some of the thought processes I've encountered with many of my clients.

Many of them see someone who, their minds tell them, is 'better' than them. And, immediately, they fall into a downward cycle:
  • "Why me?"
  • "Is my girl/guy checking him/her out? Why is he/she with me?"
  • "Why do I even bother coming to the gym? I'll never look like that"
...etc.

I've heard them all, and many more. Truthfully, I've never been able to relate to fully. I'll tell you why: I, personally, believe that comparison, self-evaluation, categorisation, and self-quantifying are natural parts of the human psyche. Further, I believe that acknowledging and embracing such (as opposed to denying, demonising, and battling that moment of comparison) lends a person the ability to move past it.

For me, those couple of seconds led to three distinct thought processes:

1. An honest appraisal of my body-type:
My buddy was always in shape, and will (probably always be in shape). He doesn't watch his diet, and has never needed to. He is pure ecto-meso. Me, on the other hand, I've always been 'softer', even when shredded (which is what I am currently...at sub-8% bodyfat). My body-type is closer to meso-endo. I have to watch what I eat, and I have to keep my activity level high. Standing next to him re-affirmed my life-choices and diet-choices for the past decade.

"What do you mean 'softer' Corey" is one of the things I've gotten a lot of over the years by people who trivialise my thought processes and feelings where my body is concerned. These people have been friends, peers, and/or clients who fall in to one of two camps:

a. People who have never been as lean or as developed as I am/was/will be...ie people who "would be happy" to look the way I do/have/will. (I've actually heard: "if I looked like you, I would [insert sentiment here].")

b. People who are conditioned to try to console.

Either thought process, while positively- intentioned, does nothing to help a person's spiral. And, the latter thought process, brings me back to my initial argument: Society is conditioned to downplay a person's feelings. "Everything will be ok." Cue the pat on the head. However, as stated prior, getting past feelings of insecurity requires the acknowledgement...active acknowledgement.

2. An honest appraisal of where I was physically:
I was carrying 20-30 lbs more muscle than my peer.
Possibly more.I was put together better. Then why would I feel self-conscious?
I'll tell you why:

3. "I can be better."
For some, this thought exists in the back of their minds like poison: slowly seeping into unconscious thought, eroding self-perception, self-esteem, and self-worth. But, do you remember what I said about acknowledging it? Let's bring it to the forefront. I did and, immediately, poison became a positive.

I CAN be better, and will be.

Closing thoughts.
There will always be someone whose very existence challenges your sense of self. The truth of the matter is, you CAN be better. But, and this is the most important part, the person you need to be better than isn't the phantom that you allow your mind to create.

It isn't the guy/girl your significant other thinks is attractive.

It isn't your subordinate, who happens to be more qualified than you on paper.

The person you need to best...is you.

Every day... Every week... Every year, strive to be better than the person you were before.

Life isn't a competition...but if it were, past-you would be the person to beat.

Make it happen.

Yours in Fitness
-C. “Narkissos” Springer
Owner of:
“The NarkSide” Fitness Forums
Apollo Fitness Barbados
NarkSide Apparel

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Views 5004 Comments 7
Total Comments 7

Comments

Old 11-28-2012
Catholic schoolgirl
Points: 6,807, Level: 57 Points: 6,807, Level: 57 Points: 6,807, Level: 57
Level up: 29%, 143 Points needed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Activity: 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Fashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant futureFashionista has a brilliant future

I've read this a couple times now.

with varying feelings.

I recognise myself in a number of areas here.

and I'm going to be honest.. and say for me and I suspect a lot of ppl .. life is a competition, but how much I invest of myself in the competition is another thing..

but i'm also a moody bastard so.. yeah..
Old 11-28-2012
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100 Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100 Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
I've read this a couple times now.

with varying feelings.

I recognise myself in a number of areas here.

and I'm going to be honest..
If what I've written here challenges your thought process, and causes reactions of varying types/feelings (not necessarily of agreement)... I think my purpose has been achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
and say for me and I suspect a lot of ppl .. life is a competition, but how much I invest of myself in the competition is another thing..

but i'm also a moody bastard so.. yeah..
Thanks for the follow-up contribution :-)

Old 11-28-2012
Former Co-Admin. Cherished friend. RIP
Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100 Points: 191,589, Level: 100
Activity: 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

t-gunz has a brilliant future
t-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant futuret-gunz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to t-gunz

i used to be insecure about my physique when i was training

now that im not ( most of you know why) i do not have that issue anymore. happy about it too :)

more important things to life than worrying about how U look to others

motivation pictures client/moderator : Bobby Stealz:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/album.php?albumid=9
-if this doesn't get you motivated nothing will

New Members threads of interest:http://www.getnarked.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4965
-includes dieting, training, injury
-articles by narkside staff
Old 11-29-2012
NarkSide Nympho
Points: 31,443, Level: 100 Points: 31,443, Level: 100 Points: 31,443, Level: 100
Activity: 96%
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

big_k has a brilliant future
big_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant futurebig_k has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to big_k

nice article, Thanks Corey
Old 12-01-2012
Owner | Administrator

Anytime mate!

Old 09-09-2014
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 2,225, Level: 30 Points: 2,225, Level: 30 Points: 2,225, Level: 30
Level up: 25%, 75 Points needed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 96%
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

HealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant future

I... approve this message...one HUNDRED per cent! This is a very important thought for each and every one of us not only to bear in mind , but to adopt, and to practice... daily , whether it means reminding yourself when you look into the mirror, writing it down over and over and oover in your journal/diary; reminding yourself that YOU are worth it!
You are worth evaluating yourself to see if what you see in the mirror, and what you know of yourself in your heart, are one in the same. You are the only one who can truly influence and shape your own self-perception. You CAN allow others, and merely external sources, to tell you who you are, but at the end of the day, those thoughts, insults and mocks, won't give you the TRUE PICTURE of exactly who you are.
In fact, they'll do just the opposite . They'll feed you lies , lies that stem from the fountain of envy , and which are geared to make you feel less than you are , but it's YOUR duty to defeat them with success .
While you ignore each and every one of the detractors, you have the responsibility to prove them wrong by:

1. Fighting for what you believe in
2. Accomplishing all your goals, with perseverance and self-control and
3. Engaging your self-discipline by not responding directly to what they have to say. It may feel like the natural thing for you, to say "Whateverrr haterrrrssss!" But if you ignore them and strive for what you want to accomplish, it'll be even better for you.

Continue to focus upward, inward and THEN outward, to help others who may have been in the very same position that you have overcome .
Old 09-11-2016
NarkSide Virgin
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68%, 16 Points needed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

ellisers is on a distinguished road

good job guys, thanks for the useful information!