Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Articles
> Articles > General-Health Articles
Connect with Facebook

General-Health Articles Got an article that doesn't fit into any of the preceding categories? Post it here!

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100 Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100 Points: 10,565,546, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Default Drinking Water may improve the brain's performance
by Narkissos 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM

We all know that drinking water regularly is good for the body. But new research has revealed that drinking water when we feel thirsty boosts our brain's performance in mental tests.

Researchers from the University of East London and the University of Westminster in the UK analyzed the potential effects of water on cognitive performance and mood among 34 participants with an average age of 29 years.

The study, published in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, involved participants taking part in a "water" and a "no water" experiment one week apart.

The "water" experiment required the people to complete a number of mental tests after eating a cereal bar and drinking some water. The "no water" test meant the participants consumed just the cereal bar alone. The amount of water drunk by the participants in the "water" test depended on their level of thirst.

Lead study author, Dr. Caroline Edmonds of the University of East London School of Psychology, told Medical News Today, "Our study found that reaction times were faster after people drank water, particularly if they were thirsty before drinking."

Drinking three cups of water before completing a task can increase the brain's reaction time by 14%.
In both experiments, the participants were asked to fast overnight, consuming no food or drink after 9pm before the day of testing. The participants were assessed via three measurements - a thirst scale, a mood scale and with a computer-administered variety of tasks called the Cambridge Neuropsychological Test Automated Battery (CANTAB).

The researchers analyzed particular areas of the participants' brain, including reaction time, verbal recognition memory, visual memory and learning.

The participants who drank around three cups of water (775 milliliters) just before completing the tests had a 14% increased reaction time compared with those who did not drink any water.
The study authors say that as well as showing that water consumption can increase cognitive performance, this is moderated by the participants' subjective feelings of thirst. The authors say:

"The present study revealed water consumption to have contrasting effects on different cognitive processes. Water consumption was found both to impair 'set shifting' performance, and to facilitate speed of responding, but in a manner that was dependent upon subjective thirst.

More specifically, water consumption appeared to have a corrective effect on the response times for thirsty individuals, bringing their speed of responding up to the level of non-thirsty individuals"

In terms of mood, the results revealed that when participants were dehydrated, they were more tense, sad and confused.

But the study also showed that drinking water can have negative effects on cognitive performance. Dr. Edmonds told MNT the study "also showed that people performed worse on a complex rule-learning task after drinking."

In a test called the Intra-Extra Dimensional Set Shift (IED) test, the participants were monitored for "attention flexibility" and tested on their error rates in discriminating a series of visual images. Depending on how the researchers ran the test, participants who drank water before doing it performed worse than those who drank no water.
The study authors add that further research is needed to examine how the brain effects of water are mediated by thirst mechanisms, as well as determining why water consumption can also have negative effects on cognitive performance.

Dr. Edmonds told MNT: "This study shows that water can be helpful for cognitive performance, and sometimes it can be helpful to be thirsty - we need to do more studies to find out why."

So is there an ideal amount of water that we should be drinking for strong mental performance? Dr Edmonds told us there is no simple answer:
"We don't really know the answer to that question at the moment.

This study is part of a program of research that is investigating how much water we should consume to affect cognitive performance.

[There is also] a whole host of other research questions, such as what cognitive tasks are affected, and how far in advance of performance on these tasks is optimal for improving performance."

Written by Honor Whiteman

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Views 2492 Comments 2
Total Comments 2

Comments

Old 06-23-2014
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4
Level up: 50%, 50 Points needed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

003 is on a distinguished road

I drink 6 liters of water. One liter during breakfast. One during my lunch. And one during my dinner. 2 during my work out and just 1 throughout the day. I just think that I really need to be drinking a lot of water because I sweat a lot because of my day-to-day activities and training. I don't want to be dehydrated as I know that it really decreases mental performance.
Old 09-10-2014
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 2,225, Level: 30 Points: 2,225, Level: 30 Points: 2,225, Level: 30
Level up: 25%, 75 Points needed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 96%
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

HealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant futureHealthCraze has a brilliant future

This is an awesome find! I'm a great lover of water! I drink it almost in [B] buckets, gallons! [B] No, I don't "overdose", but I truly understand the importance of getting my daily intake of water in. It really does help me focus, and it allows me to perform at my max , whether it's at work, or during an intense core workout.
If I'm about to engage in any of these all-important activities, or even if I'm just spending some time relaxing, I can't even relax well if I haven't had enough water to drink. I value water like I value air: I respect that I'm unable to do without it after a prolonged period, in respect of the value of life.
I also value this precious commodity called "water", as much as a car requires fuel/petrol in order to "run" and operate effectively.
Many of us develop maladies such as headaches/migranes and may even feel faint, why? All because we've either decided that water doesn't "suit our taste", or because it just isn't convenient for us to drink our daily required intake, because of how busy we are.
Well, whatever excuses are that we've been making, it's time that we put up a fight to do what's right for our bodies and for others who have to face us in our "exhausted state", and drink more water!