Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
The Water Cooler
> Ca$h, Entrepreneurship, & Shit Like that
Connect with Facebook

Ca$h, Entrepreneurship, & Shit Like that Worried about the Economy and your job security? Need help budgeting for fitness? Starting a business? Planning a trip? Job-hunting? Building that home or home-gym? Building that Resume? Investing?! Check in *here* for Opinions and Feedback! Money Matters: From Business to Recreation!!!

Old 07-06-2009
Epic Ranter
Points: 24,189, Level: 100 Points: 24,189, Level: 100 Points: 24,189, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

cognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to behold
Default Law terms you always heard but never knew what they meant

I'm hoping our buddy DangerDan can shed some light on these matters for us.

My Unknown Law Term is "Injunction"

Wiki Says:
An injunction is an equitable remedy in the form of a court order, whereby a party is required to do, or to refrain from doing, certain acts. The party that fails to adhere to the injunction faces civil or criminal penalties and may have to pay damages or accept sanctions for failing to follow the court's order. In some cases, breaches of injunctions are considered serious criminal offences that merit arrest and possible prison sentences.

At the core of injunctive relief is a recognition that monetary damages cannot solve all problems. An injunction may be permanent or it may be temporary. A preliminary injunction, or an interlocutory injunction, is a provisional remedy granted to restrain activity on a temporary basis until the court can make a final decision after trial. It is usually necessary to prove the high likelihood of success upon the merits of one's case and a likelihood of irreparable harm in the absence of a preliminary injunction before such an injunction may be granted; otherwise the party may have to wait for trial to obtain a permanent injunction.

Got any examples Dan?

Feel free to add your own terms and we can do internet research and such if Dan prefers not to bring his work home :) Any other lawyers in the house?
Old 07-06-2009
Respected Member
Points: 14,692, Level: 83 Points: 14,692, Level: 83 Points: 14,692, Level: 83
Level up: 55%, 158 Points needed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

DangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to DangerDan

I'll be happy to explain. I'll just need a small retainer first.
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.<br /><br />Getnarked.net: For all your Fitness needs
Old 07-06-2009
NarkSide's Ultimate PostWhore
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100
Activity: 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

StrawberrySun has a brilliant future
StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!

you GO dan
Old 07-06-2009
Epic Ranter
Points: 24,189, Level: 100 Points: 24,189, Level: 100 Points: 24,189, Level: 100

cognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to beholdcognitive_dissonance is a splendid one to behold

i can recommend a great orthodontist
Old 07-06-2009
Respected Member

DangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to allDangerDan is a name known to all

Generally when people file lawsuits, they want to recover some amount of money. Ex: I got in a car accident so give me some money. Injunctions are a form of relief you can request from a court when you cannot be compensated by money alone.

If a court enters an injunction, the Court is telling someone or a business, etc., that it must do something or must refrain from doing something. Here are some examples where a court might enter an injunction.

Ex. 1: A factory is discharging illegal waste into the sewer line. The local government could have the court enter an injunction from discharging waste.

Ex. 2: If domestic suits (family law), Courts will sometimes enter a special form of injunction called a temporary restraining order forbidding the two sides from harassing each other.

Ex. 3: Courts also routinely enter injunctions while lawsuits are pending. An example that is used quite often is as follows: My neighbor and I have a dispute regarding who owns a piece of land with 100 year old oak trees between our two houses. My neighbor wants to cut the trees down, but I think I own the land and I want the trees to stay. A Court would likely enter an injunction preventing my neighbor from cutting the trees down until it can be determined who the actual owner is.
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.<br /><br />Getnarked.net: For all your Fitness needs

Last edited by DangerDan; 07-06-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2009
Respected Member

I changed my avatar since I'm sounding all professional today.
Old 07-06-2009
Epic Ranter

awesome! thanks! :)
Old 07-06-2009
NarkSide's Ultimate PostWhore
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100
Activity: 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

StrawberrySun has a brilliant future
StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDan View Post
I changed my avatar since I'm sounding all professional today.

Win :)
Old 07-06-2009
Epic Ranter

^^BACK OFF BITCH HE'S MINE!!

*ahem* I mean...

I'd like to issue an injunction against such moves. lol i think i like law!
Old 07-06-2009
Respected Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognitive_dissonance View Post
^^BACK OFF BITCH HE'S MINE!!

*ahem* I mean...

I'd like to issue an injunction against such moves. lol i think i like law!
This is actually a great example. Injunctions are issued when a person cannot be compensated by money. Obviously, no amount of money could replace DangerDan.