Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Articles
> Articles > Cardio and General weight-training articles
Connect with Facebook

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
The UnderBoss
Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Default Is your squat lagging behind your dead?
by Johan 09-30-2009, 06:20 AM

http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/09/1...squatting-dud/

Quote:
As the Squat RX guy, I get a lot of questions from people struggling to bring their squat up to the level of their deadlifts. Many of them are pretty strong guys frustrated at their relatively paltry squat numbers. Understandably, they have a tough time stomaching the idea that squatting half of their deadlift is a herculean effort.

I have no secret technique or protocol that will magically transform your squat numbers, but I do have some observations that may put you on the path to some degree of parity for your squat and deadlift. If you are a “deadlift stud, squatting dud,” perhaps one of the following tips help you.
#1) You may be built to deadlift

Have long arms and a relatively short torso? You’re probably built to deadlift. Your deadlift is always going to run ahead of your squat. This is not something to get upset about, however — when you come from behind to destroy the competition in a powerlifting event with your stellar deadlift, you’ll be glad you have the build you have.

Nature just doesn’t deal us what we want sometimes. Tall and lanky might not be ideal for squatting, but take it from someone who’s short and stocky: Long arms are nice when you are lifting big and heavy things off the floor.

Okay. Great. That’s constructive… your build is great for deadlifting, so are you stuck with a bad squat? No, of course not, but there’s no sense in losing sleep over something that can be looked at as a positive.

#2) You haven’t given the squat enough time to develop

Beginners typically have much better deadlift numbers compared to their squat.

The extreme hip angle the squat puts you in is a position most people aren’t used to loading. As a result, it’s not uncommon for a beginner’s squat to lag behind his deadlift by one or two hundred pounds. With time, the numbers tend to even themselves out. If you haven’t been training consistently for a couple of years, give your squat time and effort to catch up. And, if you are a powerlifter and use supportive equipment such as wraps and a squat suit, which assist the lifter in those extreme positions, it is very likely your squat numbers will soon far exceed your deadlift.

#3) You need to prioritize your squat

Almost every time someone asks me how to bring up his squat, he’s surprised when I suggest he isn’t squatting often enough. If squatting is a skill that has not been developed, practice is what is needed. Every training session does not have to be a high-intensity, high-volume Smolov hell, but more frequent sessions with greater focus on technique and tension can’t hurt.

For most beginner and intermediate lifters, it is a truism that squat training will help their deadlift numbers. The converse of this is not true, however; most people will NOT experience a commensurate rise in their squat numbers as their deadlift improves. I’m not saying anyone should slack in their deadlift training, but you have to work your weaknesses harder than your strengths if you want your weaknesses to become strengths.

If you are doing both the squat and deadlift in the same session, do your squats first. If you are doing both squat and deadlift work during the week, make sure squats come early in the week and before deadlifts. Prioritize your squat by doing squats and assistance exercises and drills early in the week. I call this ‘front-loading’ your work week; by putting your ‘money sets’ in early and getting them over with, you avoid the tendency to slack off as the week marches on.
Rest of article in the link, great read
Views 5863 Comments 6
Total Comments 6

Comments

Old 09-30-2009
Retired Moderator
Points: 32,908, Level: 100 Points: 32,908, Level: 100 Points: 32,908, Level: 100
Activity: 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

MuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant futureMuscleScience has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to MuscleScience

My deads are way better than my squat, I think it's all mental.
Old 09-30-2009
The UnderBoss
Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100 Points: 653,475, Level: 100
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future
Johan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant futureJohan has a brilliant future

Same for me, I pull over 100ibs more than I squat. It annoys me like fuck though.
Old 10-01-2009
Respected Member
Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

greeniz515 has a brilliant future
greeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to greeniz515 Send a message via Yahoo to greeniz515

That's interesting b/c my squats are better than my deads. I hate deads.
Old 10-01-2009
Member of the month - October 2010
Points: 123,251, Level: 100 Points: 123,251, Level: 100 Points: 123,251, Level: 100
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

NightTrain has a brilliant future
NightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant futureNightTrain has a brilliant future

my deads are also better than my squats... i hate squats....
Old 10-01-2009
Catholic schoolgirl
Points: 7,533, Level: 60 Points: 7,533, Level: 60 Points: 7,533, Level: 60
Level up: 92%, 17 Points needed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

EPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant futureEPIC has a brilliant future

Yeah i dead alot more then my squat. Im always scared im gonna blow a knee out when i squat. So id rather go lighter and be safe. I put up 500 on dead lift with bad form 1 time and havent gone over 405 since for the same reasons.
Old 10-01-2009
Owner | Administrator
Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100 Points: 12,360,232, Level: 100
Activity: 71%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

I used to deadlift a lot more than I squatted... easily.

And, deadlifts aren't something that I've been doing for a lot of years... I'm just a 'natural puller'.

I started doing heavy deads during a contest prep probably around 2005, and hit a 500lb dead very shortly after. My max was 545 lbs for 3 reps... w/ average work sets of 500 x 5.

Compare that to the squat that I've been training for 12 years... a lift that I've NEVER hit over 500 on.

Interesting read Jo.

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11