Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Health & Fitness Discussion
> General Health, Wellness, & Spirituality Questions
Connect with Facebook

General Health, Wellness, & Spirituality Questions Hey.. are you new to the health & fitness lifestyle? Then this sub-forum is for you. Inside is a slew of pertinent tips and explanations to speed you on your way. Enjoy! The forum has been dedicated to the memory of a now deceased friend of the NarkSide: David "Mavsluva" Lowe. He was an inspiration for many of us here in the community. This forum serves to continue the work which David started: To unite the Spirit, Mind, and Body... in the pursuit of the improvement of self. R.I.P. David. We love you man. You'll always be with us.

Old 12-28-2010
Respected Member
Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

greeniz515 has a brilliant future
greeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to greeniz515 Send a message via Yahoo to greeniz515
Default Fish Oil Does Little to Boost Weight Loss

Fish oil supplements may help combat heart disease, but won't affect weight loss in people who are already dieting and exercising, according to new research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

While previous studies in animals have shown that in addition to metabolic and cardiovascular benefits, omega-3 fatty acids may also have added weight-loss benefits, new research out of The Cooper Institute in Dallas suggests otherwise.

Lead researcher Dr. Laura DeFina led a study to assess whether taking supplemental omega-3 fatty acids in conjunction with diet and exercise would result in weight loss over a six-month period, Reuters reports.

DeFina and colleagues conducted randomized clinical trails on 128 overweight and obese individuals. Some were given omega-3 supplements while others were given a placebo. Both groups received dietary and exercise counseling and participated in weekly aerobics and strength-training workouts.

Participants -- 81 of which completed the 24-week trial -- in both groups lost about 5 percent of their body weight.

At the end of the study, researchers saw no major differences between the groups with regard to risk factors for heart disease, blood pressure and high cholesterol. But the participants who were given the fish oil supplements had higher levels of omega 3s in their blood streams, which has been shown to offer protection against heart disease.

Although the weight-loss benefits were negligible, the authors encouraged the continued use of fish oil supplements.

"Whereas one may not enhance weight loss by taking supplements with this level of omega-3 fatty acids," the authors wrote in their study, "the protective cardiovascular effect should still be realized because of the sheer increase in blood concentrations of the fatty acids."

From: http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/12/27/...ec2_lnk1|33504
Old 03-01-2014
NarkSide Virgin
Points: 1,524, Level: 23 Points: 1,524, Level: 23 Points: 1,524, Level: 23
Level up: 24%, 76 Points needed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

farqoun is on a distinguished road

Hey..
As far as i know Fish oil boost the weight loss process so its good one for weight loss but its also much effective for natural health
Old 03-03-2014
Owner | Administrator
Points: 11,511,681, Level: 100 Points: 11,511,681, Level: 100 Points: 11,511,681, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniz515 View Post
Fish oil supplements may help combat heart disease, but won't affect weight loss in people who are already dieting and exercising, according to new research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

While previous studies in animals have shown that in addition to metabolic and cardiovascular benefits, omega-3 fatty acids may also have added weight-loss benefits, new research out of The Cooper Institute in Dallas suggests otherwise.

Lead researcher Dr. Laura DeFina led a study to assess whether taking supplemental omega-3 fatty acids in conjunction with diet and exercise would result in weight loss over a six-month period, Reuters reports.

DeFina and colleagues conducted randomized clinical trails on 128 overweight and obese individuals. Some were given omega-3 supplements while others were given a placebo. Both groups received dietary and exercise counseling and participated in weekly aerobics and strength-training workouts.

Participants -- 81 of which completed the 24-week trial -- in both groups lost about 5 percent of their body weight.

At the end of the study, researchers saw no major differences between the groups with regard to risk factors for heart disease, blood pressure and high cholesterol. But the participants who were given the fish oil supplements had higher levels of omega 3s in their blood streams, which has been shown to offer protection against heart disease.

Although the weight-loss benefits were negligible, the authors encouraged the continued use of fish oil supplements.

"Whereas one may not enhance weight loss by taking supplements with this level of omega-3 fatty acids," the authors wrote in their study, "the protective cardiovascular effect should still be realized because of the sheer increase in blood concentrations of the fatty acids."

From: http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/12/27/...ec2_lnk1|33504

"Omega-3s Have Positive Effects on Heart, Muscle Anabolism and Fat Burning!" - http://www.getnarked.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11980

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 11-14-2015
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 201, Level: 4 Points: 201, Level: 4 Points: 201, Level: 4
Level up: 2%, 49 Points needed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%

thess is on a distinguished road

I heard it's great for your brain health though. So at least there's that.
Old 11-14-2015
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 410, Level: 8 Points: 410, Level: 8 Points: 410, Level: 8
Level up: 20%, 40 Points needed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%

KimmyMarkks is on a distinguished road

That's good to know. I never associated fish oil with weight loss. I usually associate it with a healthy heart. I take it because of the healthy fats it offers. I also find that when I consistently take it it helps my hair, nails and skin stay soft.