Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Articles
> Articles > Diet and Nutrition Articles
Connect with Facebook

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Respected Member
Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
greeniz515 has a brilliant future
greeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to greeniz515 Send a message via Yahoo to greeniz515
Default Intuitive Eating for Weight Loss
by greeniz515 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Intuitive Eating for Weight Loss

If you are thinking intuitive eating is a new revolution, you might find you are mistaken. Intuitive goes by many different names and terms. It is appropriate, for the sake of this article, to outline what I am discussing so you wont be left to your own assumptions.

Free eating in research is usually discussed under the phrase Ad libitum. Ad libitum is derived from the latin which means ďat oneís pleasure.Ē This has been around for a long time and even discussed in controversial German studies during Hitlerís reign. The way we eat freely and what we choose to do so with is of constant amazement to scientist in both humans and animals.

Some argue that eating freely isnít what intuitive eating is about in the first place and that this sense must be trained. The comparative difference from research is free eating (Ad Libitum) is with no regard to thought or programming. Intuitive eating on the other hand is about getting in tune with your senses, hunger, tastes, and the general reactions of your body to food and its surrounding environment.

Doesnít sound too bad either way really? But, is it realistic and can it apply to fat loss?

Stress Expenditure and Intuitive Eating

If you have ever sat and written for over 5-hours straight or been on the receiving end of a customer service environment, you know that you can expend a lot of stress energy in the absence of physical exertion. Since energy intake needs to be correlated with energy output for body composition, this brings a problem that a lot of people are having a hard time dealing with. Back in the day our stress was mostly related to direct movement expenditure. Meaning if you were tired and stressed out it was because you physically moved all day long. In this day and age, we can become physically and mentally exhausted without moving at all. Our stress expenditure is high and our energy expenditure is low. This is leading to a movement of intuitive medicating.

Intuitive medication

Self-medication is literally taking your emotional and physical matter in your own hands. There is the conscious form of self-medication which is taking specific drugs in effort to help a specific problem only. Aid of a doctor or not, you pop the pill, you are self-medicating. There is another phenomenon which occurs that is a subconscious self-medication. This can be in all forms and the term ďmedicationĒ becomes very lax. One example is the interesting research in those with undiagnosed A.D.D having a extremely higher rate of taking up smoking or the use of stimulants to self-medicate their attention and anxiety issues. Another example, and more relevant to this conversation is people who have issues with depression, insomnia, and excess stress taking up the use of fast acting carbohydrates to provide energy and mental relief in their lives.

In an interesting 2008 study [1], people participated in a double-blind, placebo controlled study to determine which drink selection helped most with their mood. The study was pretty interesting. The operators would play an audio for the participants that went like thisÖ
ďAs you can hear, there is music playing in the background. The music is to help you attain an unpleasant mood state. Iíd like you to close your eyes, listen to the music, and try to remember the time when Ö [sad memory prompted, e.g. your parents told you they were getting divorced]. Try to really intensely get into the feelings of the music and your memory. Itís very important that you try to develop an unpleasant mood state that is as intense and as real as you can possibly make it. I want to remind you that we have a procedure to bring your mood back up to normal at the end of this experiment. So donít be afraid to really intensely get into this mood.ď
Intense eh? I donít know about you, but that wouldnít be a fun time for me. Afterwards the participants were offered a choice of beverages. The choices were between a carbohydrate dominant w/protein and a carbohydrate only drink. The study spanned 2-weeks and the participants were served various drinks and various days and asked to rate the drink that affected their mood the best. The results showed in pretty overwhelming favor of the carbohydrate dominant drink. I also want to take a moment to give props because as far as studies go, this was a good one. They really tried to do everything they could to toss out manipulation and variable factors in this study.

The above wasnít the first study that took a look at carbohydrate/food medication to stress environment, but it certainly was the most valid and interesting. It goes to show there is a strong correlation between how we feel and how what we eats makes us feel in correlation.
What does this mean towards intuitive eating and weight control? Can you channel into the proper way of eating for body composition? I think for most people, no, but here is whyÖ

The connection between emotions and food is obviously a strong one. Not just food either but drugs, alcohol, sexual habits, etc. It comes back full circle to state the question of what comes first, ďThe chicken or the egg?Ē In this case, there isnít a question. Your mind, your life and your actions are always going to come before food selection. My point is, we are intuitively eating and that is the problem. Once you enter onto self-awareness and control it alters the process. It becomes a learned behavior, which isnít a bad thing. We live life and we learn as we go. That is how we become the people we are. Intuitive, it isnít.

In the end, we have genuine physical reactions that stress us physically and mentally. A lot of teachings of intuitive eating tells us to avoid feeding the very chemicals are body is asking to be feed and to receive the response we want. The simple truth is that feeling you have, that feeling of being overly stressed out, sad, and depressed, it really does want a candy bar. It doesnít just stop there either, in a couple of weeks I will have a big article on the affects of sleep on carbohydrate and excessive eating desires as well.

My point is there are real chemical forces at work here, not just emotional ďfuck its.Ē It is intuitive, it is nature, and it is correct. Trying to step in and fight against these urges is kind of a dying battle. Sure there is will power and a level where you say what you do. I think you will find more success not putting yourself in that position in the first place. The point should not be to eat with your intuition, but to eat with strategy and education. Your body may signal candy bar, but it will respond better with other foods. Expect a lot more on that in my next discussion on this topic.

The real nail in the coffin for intuitive eating for fat loss?

Fat loss isnít healthy nor is it desired by your body. While it may led to a healthier outcome, the process isnít healthy or a natural reaction. Chemo therapy might save you from dying from cancer, but I donít think anyone thinks it is healthy. While I am not saying fat loss is on the level of chemo, it does come with side effects and makes for a difficult physical journey. In intuitive eating you are supposed to come in touch with your satiation and hunger and act on its behalf. This is great for maintenance and I think being of aware of this can be helpful, but in fat loss you have to realize that the feeling of your stomach eating you alive, the dizziness, the insomnia, and the random sugar cravings are your intuitive fat loss signals. Sometimes the worst it gets, the better you are doing. Itís just the way it is.

Your body sends signals to deny yourself from eating less. From headaches to paranoia, your mind and body will manipulate you to eat naturally, because it is the will to survive. Nothing is more intuitive than that. The will to live trumps a paperback book, everytime.

Taken from: http://www.leighpeele.com/intuitive-...s-and-realites
Total Comments 17

Comments

Old 07-13-2010
Owner | Administrator
Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100 Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100 Points: 10,653,704, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Related blog: http://peacewithfood.blogspot.com/

wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuitive_eating

:shakirah:

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 08-16-2010
PottyMouth
Points: 1,791, Level: 25 Points: 1,791, Level: 25 Points: 1,791, Level: 25
Level up: 91%, 9 Points needed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

dukkitdalaw is on a distinguished road

I definitely feel that you need to be in tune to your hunger. Just because your hungry doesnt mean eat whatever is near you. Or just because you are stressed doesnt allow you to eat crappy to feel better. When there are healthy choices (or simply not so bad of choices) that can also make you feel better.

I know my problem is... eating when Im bored. If im sitting around the house just relaxing, I find myself nonstop eating. Which isnt bad for my goals per se. But for most it is.

If people get in the mindset of eating such a thing as an apple instead of a candy bar when they are stressed, they would see that it will also satisfy them. The sweetness, the carbs, all help. But is def a better choice.

Its also about whats easiet nowadays. There are vending machines in all break rooms. But not farmers markets. It takes more energy to go to the store and buy a bunch of fruit, veggies or sweet potato chips then to walk down the hall and buy a bag of chips.

So some of the blame falls on society as a whole. But the main part is our own. Will power people. Will power.
Old 08-16-2010
VIP Member
Points: 39,676, Level: 100 Points: 39,676, Level: 100 Points: 39,676, Level: 100
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Lynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud of

^^ totally agree... i keep almonds/fruit around for that... cause previously i'd consume numerous candy bars, chocolate cookies, potato chips... just cause they were there... As a student i'm frequently just sitting reading... so having better snacks around really do help...
Old 08-16-2010
NarkSide's Ultimate PostWhore
Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100 Points: 337,339, Level: 100
Activity: 58%
Activity: 58% Activity: 58% Activity: 58%

StrawberrySun has a brilliant future
StrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant futureStrawberrySun has a brilliant future

I always feel hungry.
Old 08-16-2010
VIP Member
Points: 39,676, Level: 100 Points: 39,676, Level: 100 Points: 39,676, Level: 100
Activity: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Lynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud ofLynx has much to be proud of

high metabolism?
Old 08-18-2010
Jr. Fornicator
Points: 1,005, Level: 18 Points: 1,005, Level: 18 Points: 1,005, Level: 18
Level up: 5%, 95 Points needed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

YesItsReallyJosh is on a distinguished road

fascinating read! it reminds me of why I switched to eating around 4 meals a day as opposed to 6. when I would do 6, I would constantly find myself not looking forward to sitting down and eating, almost like a hinderance to my daily life of sorts. Now, eating less, bigger meals, and eating every 3 and a half hours or so allows me to look forward to my meal and enjoy it thoroughly
Old 09-23-2010
NarkSide Virgin
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level up: 48%, 26 Points needed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

darcyhayden is on a distinguished road

Eggs are high in protein, contain good fats, and are well known to aid in weight loss and muscle building. So if you're not eating them for breakfast, it's time you start.
The problem is that most of us don't have time to cook eggs every single morning. That's why it's a good idea to have your eggs hard-boiled. You can prepare them on the weekend, or your day off, and peel them ahead of time. This way you just have to grab a few eggs out of a container on your way out the door.Be surprised how much time this saves you, and how long you stay full when you eat two or three of these for breakfast.I'll admit that this is my favorite way to have eggs, when I'm losing weight or trying to get extra protein to build muscle, it's a great way to start my day.
Old 09-25-2010
Respected Member
Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100 Points: 391,303, Level: 100
Activity: 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

greeniz515 has a brilliant future
greeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant futuregreeniz515 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to greeniz515 Send a message via Yahoo to greeniz515

There are days when I just want a bagel or chocolate or some type of crap food. i find that before i eat it, i spend a long time weighing the good vs. bad option. im working on not doing that anymore. if i REALLY want it, not just a passing thought, i'll have a little, stop midway, assess my hunger and decide if i want to keep eating.

i find that if you genuinely tell yourself that the food will always be there, the need to pack it in and binge when you see it, greatly diminishes.
Old 09-25-2010
NarkSide Nympho
Points: 71,494, Level: 100 Points: 71,494, Level: 100 Points: 71,494, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

RhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant future
RhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant futureRhinoBalls has a brilliant future

i think there is a MASSIVE difference, between feeling hungry, and having an empty stomach. people need to learn when hunger is your body crying out for nutrients, and when hunger is just a want to feel satiated