Go Back   NarkSide Nutrition >
Health & Fitness Discussion
> Muscle-Gaining tips & Workout Questions
Connect with Facebook

Muscle-Gaining tips & Workout Questions Get your workout questions answered here! See and discuss training videos from around the web!

Old 04-02-2007
Owner | Administrator
Points: 9,213,125, Level: 100 Points: 9,213,125, Level: 100 Points: 9,213,125, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Default The 'Ask Narkissos' Thread: "Diet, training, and supplements 101"

Hey all.

This thread caters specifically (but not exclusively) to those new to the health and fitness lifestyle.

While time constraints will not allow me to outline entire regimes... i can answer questions you might have pertaining to various aspects of this lifestyle.

Topics range from diet... to things that the average health nut might take for granted like: eating out etc.

Feel free to post up :)

But bear in mind the above-mentioned time constraints when structuring your questions ;D

Thanks

-Narkissos

Got a question for me? Ask --> Here!

DISGUSTING ass-kicking conditioning workouts: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Old 04-02-2007
Sr. Fornicator

skullsmasher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to skullsmasher
Default Re: The 'Ask Narkissos' Thread: "Diet, training, and supplements 101"

1. Do you think that over eating (mostly in terms of protein intake), to a point of slight to moderate discomfort is really necessary as far as diet is concerned to gain more muscle mass as fast as possible, considering training is on point ?

2. Do you think going to utter failure is necessary when training, to stimulate maximal muscle fibers (or ensure/increase chances of growth basically) ? Can multiple sets be performed to efficiantly compensate for not reaching total failure on less sets? What is more important (regarding training) than this apect of training, in your opinion ?

thats all I can think of right now...............
Old 04-02-2007
Owner | Administrator
Points: 9,213,125, Level: 100 Points: 9,213,125, Level: 100 Points: 9,213,125, Level: 100

Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future
Narkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant futureNarkissos has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullsmasher
1. Do you think that over eating (mostly in terms of protein intake), to a point of slight to moderate discomfort is really necessary as far as diet is concerned to gain more muscle mass as fast as possible, considering training is on point ?
No.. far from actually.

This 'eat-til-you-bust' mantra is a sure-fire way to turn into a lard-ass.

Honestly.. Yes there are exceptions..

My reply however is with regard to the extremes i see perpetuated on the message boards.

e.g.

Subject A is a naturally peckish and infrequent/inconsistent eater. (2-3 small meals per day... )

Getting into a regular eating plan (i.e. 5-7 small meals per day) may be, to them, akin to 'eating til discomfort'.. but not equivalent.

The above doesn't represent an extreme.. just a process of acclimation to a non-normative state.

Subject B however... just sits down and tries to pile in as much protein per sitting as possible.. in the misplaced hope that it'll get him huge.

He get's huge...around the middle...

I'd have to say honestly that i think most people eat too much.

Don't get me started on that lol.

Quote:
2. Do you think going to utter failure is necessary when training, to stimulate maximal muscle fibers (or ensure/increase chances of growth basically) ? Can multiple sets be performed to efficiantly compensate for not reaching total failure on less sets? What is more important (regarding training) than this apect of training, in your opinion ?
Multiple sets can compensate for not going til failure.. yes.

But can they compensate efficiently?

No.

Further..they can place a greater strain on the Central Nervous system (and consequently, the body's energy reserves.. and recuperative abilities).. than briefer workouts which go near,to, or past failure.

The short-story?

Doing more sets to compensate for half-assing it tru a work-out is painfully inefficient...

For quick, solid results... i say:

Keep your training intensity high.

With regard to the failure debate.. I think you should take all your working sets to, or at least near, failure.

Taking sets past the point of muscular failure has benefits also..but can easily lead to over-training.

I'd label it an advanced technique..and i'd honestly suggest that beginners stay away from it.

If you train alone... sets should end at the point where you feel you cannot get another rep without sticking...or breaking good exercise form.

Hope this was clearly put over..and it helps

-N

Old 04-02-2007
Sr. Fornicator

skullsmasher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to skullsmasher

Thanks, I agree with the training part from my perspective as an ...... average weightlifter.

I was just on another board and man, those guys just preach all day about how you need to over eat and expect to be uncomfortable all the time because that is the only way to eat if you want to gain muscle, everything has to be taken to the extreme yada yada.......I mean I just didnt understand why they think going that far is optimal.....but hell, what do I know?
Old 04-02-2007
Owner | Administrator

Quote:
I was just on another board and man, those guys just preach all day about how you need to over eat and expect to be uncomfortable all the time because that is the only way to eat if you want to gain muscle, everything has to be taken to the extreme yada yada.......I mean I just didnt understand why they think going that far is optimal.....but hell, what do I know?
I realised that most guys that spout this stuff on the boards have nothing to show for it

Old 04-08-2007
Catholic schoolgirl

Hide is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hide

1. Do your wife-to-be train?
2. Do she eat the same food as you?
Old 04-08-2007
The UnderBoss
Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100 Points: 924,233, Level: 100
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Booz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant futureBooz has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to Booz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide
lol yeah is she a choccaholic also??

From Fat to Fit Getnarked.net:

For all your Fitness needs
I may be fat, but I dont wanna be skinny.
Old 04-08-2007
Owner | Administrator

Quote:
Yes. My fiancee is an aspiring national-level Hockey player. Prior to this, she was a national-level swimmer.

She is my training partner and trains about as hard as i do.

Our training routines are the same.. 'cept possibly 'off-season' where we go with a sports-specific routine for her.. to improve on any short-coming which might've manifested during the previous season.

I don't believe in specific work-outs for men or women.

Neither do we subscribe to that urban myth that if she trains like me she'll look like me.

She's very feminine... and the routines work well.

Quote:
That she does.

Our diets are about identical... differing in portion-size and overall kcal-count.

Our supplementation regimes don't differ that much either.

-N

Old 04-08-2007
Owner | Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booz
lol yeah is she a choccaholic also??
lol... I see you're trying to get my assed kicked lol.

Yea... we often tussle for the last hunk of chocolate lol.

Old 04-09-2007
Catholic schoolgirl

Hide is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hide

Nark, come clean now. ;D

Do your girl own you in the squat and Deadlift?